Almost 70 Dead In Syria Regime Clashes With Idlib Militants

A war monitoring group has said that almost 70 people have been killed on both sides in Clashes between regime forces and armed groups in Syria.

The head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that the battles in the northwestern province of Idlib are the most violent since a Russian brokered ceasefire agreement went into effect in late August.

On Sunday morning, clouds of smoke rose over the Maaret al-Numan region as warplanes pounded jihadists and allied rebels in positions they had recently recaptured from regime forces.

Residents of affected villages fled north to escape the fighting, adding to the tens of thousands who have already flooded out of the province’s violence plagued south since an escalation started earlier this year.

The Observatory on Sunday put the death toll from fighting at 69 combatants since battles started the previous day.

READ ALSO: efcc-raids-yahoo-academy-arrests-23-in-akwa-ibom/

At least 36 regime forces were among those killed.

It said an attack led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate on several regime positions had initially sparked the fighting.

Overnight, the Syrian army backed by Russian warplanes launched a counter-push to reclaim territory it had lost in the battles, according to the Britain-based war monitor.

Regime forces have since regained lost ground but violent clashes are ongoing, the war monitor said.

The Idlib region, home to around three million people including many displaced by Syria’s eight-year civil war, is controlled by the country’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate.

The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham jihadist alliance also controls parts of neighbouring Aleppo and Latakia provinces where battles with regime forces have also recently taken place.

The region is one of the last holdouts of opposition to forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

A ceasefire announced by Russia in late August has reduced violence in the area.

Between the end of April and the end of August, Idlib was pounded ceaselessly by Syrian soldiers backed by Russian airpower.

The Observatory estimates that nearly 1,000 civilians were killed in that period, and the UN says that more than 400,000 people were displaced.

DISCLAIMER: Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers Of  

EKO HOT BLOG

For publication of your News Contents, articles, Videos or any other News Worthy Materials, please send to ekohotblog@gmail.com

For Advert and other info, you can call 08035617233 or send a WhatsApp Message to 08035617233.

Please drop your comments

FOLLOW US ON

6,364FansLike
3,547FollowersFollow
2,349FollowersFollow
3,065SubscribersSubscribe

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here