- Argentina player Paredes was suspended for 10 matches
- Molina received a seven match ban
- The AFA was fined $321,000 over disciplinary breaches
Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes has been suspended for 10 matches by FIFA following his involvement in the confrontation that broke out after Argentina’s World Cup final defeat to Spain.
Eko Hot Blog gathered that FIFA announced the disciplinary decisions on Friday, with Argentina defender Nahuel Molina receiving a seven match ban for his role in the incident.
The altercation occurred immediately after the final whistle, when Paredes pushed Spain midfielder Gavi to the ground as members of Spain’s substitute bench entered the pitch to celebrate their victory.
Paredes was found guilty on three counts of assault, while Molina faced two such charges. Both players were also fined $90,000 each.

Other players and officials were also sanctioned over the incident. Argentina’s Thiago Almada and Spain’s Gavi each received one match suspension for unsporting behaviour.
Argentina assistant coach Roberto Ayala was handed a three match ban after being found responsible for an assault offence. Ayala had previously apologised for his involvement in the confrontation and was also fined $30,000.
FIFA’s disciplinary action extended beyond the post-match incident, with the Argentine Football Association fined a combined $321,000 for several violations during the tournament.
One of the disciplinary issues involved Argentine players displaying a banner reading “Las Malvinas Son Argentinas” after their semi-final victory over England.
FIFA said using a sporting event to stage demonstrations unrelated to sport constituted a breach of its disciplinary regulations.
The governing body also cited team misconduct as well as discriminatory chants and gestures by supporters among the offences that led to the penalties.
FIFA directed that $100,000 from the fine imposed on the AFA be channelled into a programme aimed at combating discrimination.

Argentina’s next two home matches will also be played with stadium capacity restricted to 50 per cent. However, FIFA said part of the sanctions, including one of the two matches and $100,000 of the fine, has been suspended during a probationary period.
The decisions can still be appealed. The AFA said its legal department would first obtain FIFA’s full reasoning before deciding on its appeal.
The association has also indicated that it could take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if necessary.
AFA legal manager Andres Paton Urich told Argentine sports publication Ole that the association’s immediate priority was to have the suspensions imposed on Paredes and Molina reduced





