EKO HOT BLOG reports that the Federal Government has cautioned the Nigeria Labour Congress (NUC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) against embarking on a national strike starting Monday midnight, November 13, 2023.
According to the government, a subsisting court order had restrained the Organised Labour and their affiliates from embarking on a nationwide strike, which must be obeyed.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), said this in a statement on Monday released by his spokesman, Kamarudeen Ogundele.
Fagbemi said the unions had been served the court order and, therefore, any action taken contrary to the order would be tantamount to contempt of court.
The AGF stated that the interim order was granted on November 10 by the President of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Justice B. B. Kanyip.
The statement reads: “Any action taken contrary to the order will be tantamount to contempt of court. We use this medium to urge the unions to respect the court order and adhere to the principle of the rule of law. There is no need to resort to self-help.
“We urge workers to report for duties and not to entertain any fear as their safety is guaranteed and will be protected within the ambit of the law.”
It would be recalled that the President of the National Industrial Court, Justice Benedict Kanyip, had recently restrained the NLC, TUC and other affiliate unions from embarking on a national strike.
The two leading labour unions were restrained from going on with the planned strike based on an exparte order secured by the Nigerian government, seeking to stop the industrial action.
Click to watch our video of the week
Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:
Kindly contact us at [email protected]. Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.
Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.
Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611