- Wike says he will work for Tinubu’s re-election despite not being on the APC campaign council.
- He says the Rainbow Coalition is already mobilising support for Tinubu in Rivers and the FCT.
- The FCT minister argues that campaign leaders must first prove they can deliver their own states.
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said he does not need a position in the All Progressives Congress presidential campaign council to help President Bola Tinubu secure victory in the 2027 election.
Eko Hot Blog reports that Wike made the statement on Saturday after inspecting ongoing projects in the Federal Capital Territory.
EDITOR’S PICK
- How Lagos Achieved 57.4% Exclusive Breastfeeding Rate
- Shaibu Lists Nigeria’s Biggest Security Challenges
- Vote, Protect Your Mandate, Governor Adeleke Urges Residents Ahead of August 15 Polls.
His comments came shortly after Tinubu unveiled the presidential campaign council, appointing former Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, as Director-General and Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, as secretary.
Wike, who is not a member of the APC, said membership of the campaign council was not a guarantee of electoral success.
According to him, the ability of political actors to deliver their respective states, local governments and wards should be the real measure of their effectiveness during elections.
“I am not a member of the APC, so I cannot be in the presidential campaign council. We had our own strategies on how the presidency would emerge,” Wike said.
He explained that the Rainbow Coalition, which he established in Rivers State to support Tinubu’s second-term bid, was already working independently to achieve its objectives.
“In the Rainbow Coalition, we don’t need to be members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council. We are doing our own work,” he said.
Wike said his focus would be on delivering Rivers State and the FCT for the President.
“What is important is: are you able to deliver those two states? Who will be in charge of the Rivers State campaign? Me. Who will be in charge of FCT? Me,” he added.
The FCT minister also questioned the effectiveness of politicians who had previously occupied senior campaign positions but failed to secure victory for their parties in their home states.

He cited former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, who served as Director-General of Muhammadu Buhari’s presidential campaigns in 2015 and 2019 but failed to deliver Rivers State.
Wike also mentioned Bukola Saraki, who served as Director-General of Atiku Abubakar’s campaign council in 2019 but lost Kwara State and his senatorial seat.
He further cited former Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal, who headed Atiku’s campaign in 2023 but lost Sokoto State, as well as Simon Lalong, who headed the APC presidential campaign council in 2023 but failed to deliver Plateau State.
Wike argued that campaign leadership should be measured by tangible electoral results.
“If you are DG and you don’t win your state, what is the essence of the DG?” he asked.
The minister maintained that his absence from the APC campaign council would not prevent him and his political allies from mobilising support for Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
FURTHER READING





