- EFCC unfreezes Osun accounts after President Bola Tinubu directed the commission to lift the restriction.
- Accounts were frozen over an ongoing probe into the handling of about ₦11 billion in ecological, intervention and statutory allocation funds.
- Tinubu raised concerns over the timing of the freeze, saying it could create an impression of federal interference ahead of the Osun governorship election.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has unfrozen the Osun State Government’s accounts following a directive from President Bola Tinubu.
Eko Hot Blog reports that the accounts, domiciled with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, were placed under a Post No Debit order by the anti-graft agency on August 5 over allegations surrounding the handling of about ₦11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
EDITOR’S PICK
- How Lagos Achieved 57.4% Exclusive Breastfeeding Rate
- Shaibu Lists Nigeria’s Biggest Security Challenges
- Vote, Protect Your Mandate, Governor Adeleke Urges Residents Ahead of August 15 Polls.
The EFCC had said it was investigating the Osun State Government over the alleged diversion of public funds, with the probe reportedly beginning in March 2026.
The freezing of the accounts generated controversy, with critics alleging that the move was politically motivated and intended to weaken Governor Ademola Adeleke ahead of the Osun State governorship election.
President Tinubu subsequently described the EFCC’s action as embarrassing and directed the commission to lift the restriction on the accounts.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed on Friday that the accounts had been unfrozen.
Ajayi said the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive, adding that the restriction was lifted immediately after the order was issued.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
He added that the development would likely have become an issue during the election campaign if the accounts had remained frozen.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit order had been vacated.
“The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” the aide said.
Following his declaration as the winner of the election, Adeleke had directed the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the legal action instituted against the EFCC over the freezing of the accounts.
The EFCC and the Osun State Government, however, have yet to issue formal statements on the development.
Attempts to reach EFCC spokesperson Dele Oyewale and Osun State Commissioner for Finance, Sola Ogungbile, were unsuccessful.
Governor Adeleke’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, also requested more time to consult relevant officials before commenting on the matter but had not responded as of the time of filing the report.
FURTHER READING





