- Kebbe LGA following renewed threats linked to the Lakurawa terrorist group.
- The Army says it has strengthened its security architecture to prevent further terrorist infiltration.
- Koughna urged residents to provide credible intelligence and report suspicious movements to security agencies.
The General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgba Koughna, has assured residents of Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State that troops are fully prepared to confront terrorist threats and protect vulnerable communities.
Eko Hot Blog reports that Koughna made the commitment during a visit to Kebbe on Sunday to assess the security situation following renewed threats allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist group.
EDITOR’S PICK
- How Lagos Achieved 57.4% Exclusive Breastfeeding Rate
- Shaibu Lists Nigeria’s Biggest Security Challenges
- Vote, Protect Your Mandate, Governor Adeleke Urges Residents Ahead of August 15 Polls.
The visit was disclosed in a statement issued by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lt. Col. Olaniyi Osoba.
During the visit, the GOC conducted an operational assessment of the Forward Operating Base, Kebbe, and surrounding communities following reports of a renewed attack on Ungushi community.
The development has heightened security concerns around the Sokoto-Kebbi border, with residents reportedly fleeing some affected communities following attacks and livestock rustling.
Koughna also met with community leaders and residents to hear their concerns and assess the security challenges confronting the area.
He assured the residents that the Nigerian Army had adjusted its security architecture to prevent further infiltration by terrorists and protect communities within the operational area.
“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” he said.
The Army commander added that measures had been put in place to ensure emerging threats were identified and contained before they could escalate.
He further assured residents that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe and neighbouring communities.
“We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” Koughna said.
He urged residents not to panic, stressing that security forces were firmly on the ground and working to restore confidence in communities affected by recent attacks.
“I urge you to remain calm and continue with your lawful activities. Your security remains our priority, and we will continue to do everything within our mandate to protect you,” he said.
Koughna, however, called for stronger cooperation between the military and residents, particularly through the timely sharing of credible intelligence.
He said community support was critical to detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they could launch attacks.
The GOC urged community leaders and residents to promptly report suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could threaten security.
He stressed that effective intelligence-sharing between communities and security agencies remained essential to preventing attacks and denying criminal and terrorist groups freedom of movement.

Koughna also reaffirmed the commitment of troops to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the operational area.
“We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said.
The operational assessment is part of ongoing efforts by the Nigerian Army to strengthen security around Kebbe and other vulnerable communities following recent security incidents in the area.
FURTHER READING





