- Wike said he would have rejected the APC campaign DG position
- He said his focus is winning Rivers and the FCT for Tinubu
- Yari was appointed to lead the APC campaign council
Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike has said he would have turned down the position of Director-General of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council if President Bola Tinubu had offered it to him.
Eko Hot Blog gathered that Wike made the remark on Saturday while inspecting ongoing road projects in Abuja, including the 13-kilometre Apo-Karshi Road and the 14-kilometre Bwari-Kubwa Road.
EDITOR’S PICK
- Tinubu Directs Installation of 3,700 Telecom Towers Across Nigeria
- Alara of Ilara Praises Sanwo-Olu, LASU Staff’s Dedication To Progress
- Burna Boy, Tems Bag Nominations at 2026 MTV VMAs
The minister explained that he was not interested in leading the campaign council because previous occupants of the position had, in his view, failed to deliver their respective states for the presidential candidates they supported.

He said his priority was instead to contribute to Tinubu’s victory in Rivers State and the Federal Capital Territory during the 2027 presidential election.
According to Wike, there was little value in occupying a senior campaign position if the person could not secure victory in their home state when the election results were announced.
Despite declining interest in the position, Wike pledged his support for the APC campaign and said the coalition backing Tinubu was already mobilising for the election.
He said the group would use its various positions and influence to work towards securing Tinubu’s re-election.

President Tinubu had earlier on Saturday announced the composition of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, appointing former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari, as Director-General and Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, as Secretary.
The council’s composition was announced in a statement issued by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.
Tinubu will serve as chairman of the council, while Vice President Kashim Shettima will occupy the position of vice chairman.
The campaign leadership will also include advisers such as former APC National Chairman Bisi Akande, veteran politician Segun Osoba, former Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha, former APC chairman Abdullahi Adamu and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.
Senate President Godswill Akpabio, House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas and Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni were appointed deputy director-generals for the campaign’s southern and northern operations.

They will work alongside Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau in coordinating activities across the two broad regions.
Senator Adams Oshiomhole was named deputy director-general for mobilisation, while the President’s Chief of Staff will oversee administration as another deputy director-general.
James Faleke, a federal lawmaker who played a prominent role in the APC’s 2023 presidential campaign, will return as deputy director-general responsible for election planning, coordination and monitoring.
The council will also have zonal directors, including Senator Olushola Adeyeye for the South-West, Ngozi Olejeme for the South-South, Senator Uche Ekwunife for the South-East, Muntaqha Rabe for the North-West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso for the North-Central and Senator Sani Danladi for the North-East.
FURTHER READING





