- Lagos Explains Delay in Replacing BRT Buses Destroyed During #EndSARS
- Burnt Buses Rose From N80m to N280m
- Hamzat argued that government should not necessarily be directly responsible for managing bus operations, noting that private operators could respond more quickly to changing transportation needs
The Lagos State Government has attributed the shortage of Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, buses in the state to the rising cost of replacing vehicles destroyed during the 2020 #EndSARS unrest.
Eko Hot Blog reports that Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, disclosed this on Thursday while responding to questions on public transportation during an interview on Nigeria Info FM.
EDITOR’S PICK
- Mr. President, Osun Has Warned You: The Abuja Boys May Not Know the People
- How Lagos Is Raising a New Generation of ‘Eco Heroes’
- Beyond the Glamour: The Hidden Price Celebrities Pay for Looking Perfect
Hamzat said the BRT buses purchased by the state before the protests cost about N80 million each, but that the price had since risen to approximately N280 million per bus.
He said the sharp increase in acquisition costs had made it difficult for the government to replace all the buses destroyed during the unrest.
“During #EndSARS, if you recall, 200 of those buses were burnt. We bought those buses at that time for N80 million per bus. Now, it’s about N280 million per one,” Hamzat said.
According to him, the government had also anticipated that some buses in its existing fleet would need to be withdrawn after seven or eight years of operation.
However, he said the state had been unable to replace all the buses lost during the #EndSARS violence, contributing to the shortage currently being experienced by commuters.
“Unfortunately, you know, we’ve not been able to replace all the 200, and that’s what we are seeing today,” he said.

The deputy governor’s claim that 200 BRT buses were destroyed differs from an earlier figure provided by the Lagos State Government.
In April 2021, the then Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said 80 BRT buses were destroyed during the violence that accompanied the #EndSARS protests.
The government said at the time that 23 large BRT buses were burnt around Ojodu, while 57 medium-sized buses were destroyed at Oyingbo.
The attacks occurred during the October 2020 unrest, which began with protests against police brutality and calls for the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS.
The protests later escalated into violence in parts of Lagos, leading to attacks on public infrastructure and private property.
The Oyingbo BRT terminal was among the facilities attacked, with several buses set ablaze.
Lagos turns to private operators
Addressing the wider transportation challenges facing the state, Hamzat said the government was encouraging more private-sector participation in public transportation.
He explained that private operators could acquire and deploy buses faster, while government could support commuters through fare subsidies.
“Private people actually bring in buses and then we subsidise the cost for people because private will be able to manage it better than us,” he said.
Hamzat argued that government should not necessarily be directly responsible for managing bus operations, noting that private operators could respond more quickly to changing transportation needs.
“You know, government should not be in the business of managing buses… But if it’s private, they are able to do it. They are nimble, they are faster,” he said.
The deputy governor also said the state was expanding other transportation options, including waterways and rail, as part of efforts to ease pressure on road transportation.
“We are bringing in ferries. Our train is working better. So, by the time we put all this together, then, you know, transportation will be better for everybody in Lagos,” Hamzat said.
FURTHER READING
- UBEC Gives Dropout Girls, Young Mothers Second Chance With Agboju School
- Prepaid Water Meters Will Hurt Poor Households, CAPPA Warns Lagos
- US Diplomat Brandon Hudspeth Arrives in Lagos to Lead Consulate
Click here to watch video of the week





