- Tinubu Recalls Aregbesola’s ‘Half Salary’ Era, Slams Atiku’s Subsidy Plan
- Says Atiku’s Plan to Restore Fuel Subsidy Shows ‘Serious Ignorance’
- Links ‘Half Salary’ Era to States’ Struggle With Workers’ Salaries
President Bola Tinubu has revived the controversial “Half Salary” label associated with former Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, while criticising former Vice President and African Democratic Congress, ADC, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, over his proposal to restore fuel subsidy.
Eko Hot Blog reports that Tinubu made the remarks on Thursday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a meeting with Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, who recently secured re-election in the August 15 governorship election.
EDITOR’S PICK
- Mr. President, Osun Has Warned You: The Abuja Boys May Not Know the People
- How Lagos Is Raising a New Generation of ‘Eco Heroes’
- Beyond the Glamour: The Hidden Price Celebrities Pay for Looking Perfect
Speaking about Osun State, the President recalled Aregbesola, who governed the state between 2010 and 2018 and was once an ally and member of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
“In your state, I know a man that I raised who is nicknamed half salary,” Tinubu said.
Aregbesola became associated with the “Half Salary” label during his tenure after the Osun State Government experienced difficulties paying workers their full salaries amid financial challenges.
The former governor is currently a chieftain of the ADC.
Tinubu brought up the issue while responding to Atiku’s recent promise to reconsider the removal of petrol subsidy if elected president in 2027.
“I saw one of my opponents, Atiku Abubakar, now say he will go back to subsidy. I read it,” Tinubu said.

“That is a demonstration of serious ignorance on governance and economy. Before I came here, 27 states were unable to pay salaries, not to even talk of pensioners.”
Tinubu removed the petrol subsidy shortly after assuming office in May 2023 and has consistently defended the decision, arguing that resources previously spent on subsidising petrol could be redirected to infrastructure and other areas of the economy.
The President said the former subsidy regime had contributed to the financial difficulties faced by several state governments, leaving them dependent on allocations and other support from the Federal Government to meet their obligations.
“They come to the federal, capping hand, unable to do anything. Salary you pay for each family. They were at the local governments. They are in the states,” he said.
Tinubu further argued that funds saved from subsidy removal could be deployed to projects and services that directly affect citizens, including roads, housing, schools and healthcare.
“Ask common men, their families, to feed the infrastructure you embark upon on the road network, housing, school rehabilitation, hospital, healthcare pronouncements, resuscitation of healthcare, training of teachers, training of health workers to protect our vulnerable families,” he said.
Atiku had earlier argued that while he did not oppose the removal of subsidy in principle, the funds saved from the policy should have been channelled into tackling poverty, insecurity, education and other challenges affecting Nigerians.
He subsequently pledged to restore the subsidy if elected president in 2027.
The latest exchange adds another dimension to the emerging political debate over fuel subsidy, with both Tinubu and Atiku presenting contrasting positions on how the policy has affected Nigeria’s economy and the finances of the states.
FURTHER READING
- UBEC Gives Dropout Girls, Young Mothers Second Chance With Agboju School
- Prepaid Water Meters Will Hurt Poor Households, CAPPA Warns Lagos
- US Diplomat Brandon Hudspeth Arrives in Lagos to Lead Consulate
Click here to watch video of the week





