- Former Boxing World Champion Zolani Tete Shot Dead Outside South Africa Home
- Police are investigating the killing and searching for two suspects.
- Tete was preparing for a boxing comeback after his suspension expired.
Former boxing world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete has been shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Tete, 38, was killed on Friday, August 21, after two armed men wearing balaclavas allegedly ambushed him as he arrived at his residence and waited for the gate to open, according to a police report.
EDITOR’S PICKS
- Police Recover Locally Made Landmine After Explosion On Zamfara Road
- Doctor Explains Ogogo’s Cancer Care as Daughters Seek Help
- Philippines School Shooting: Student Livestreams Killing Another Schoolmate Before Taking Own Life
EKO HOT BLOG reports that Tete was inside his vehicle when the attackers opened fire. He died at the scene, while a 27 year old woman who was with him suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital.
Police have launched an investigation into the killing, but the motive remains unclear. Officers have also appealed to members of the public for information that could help identify the suspects.
The killing has renewed concerns over violent crime in South Africa, which continues to record one of the world’s highest murder rates despite a recent decline in homicides.
Government figures showed that an average of 58 people were murdered every day in the country during the first four months of 2026.
Zolani Tete’s Boxing Career
Tete enjoyed a successful professional boxing career, winning the IBF junior bantamweight world title in 2014 before claiming the WBO bantamweight crown.
He also holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight after stopping Siboniso Gonya with the first punch of their 2017 bout in just 11 seconds.
Tete finished his career with 29 victories, including 22 knockouts, four defeats and one no contest.
His final fight came in July 2022 when he defeated Britain’s Jason Cunningham at Wembley Arena in London.
The result was later overturned after Tete tested positive for the banned substance stanozolol, resulting in a four year suspension.
The suspension expired in July, and Tete had been working towards a return to boxing.
South Africa’s Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie said Tete believed he still had more to offer his country.
“South Africa has lost one of the finest fighters it has ever produced,” McKenzie said.
“There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what [the family] has lost.”

The World Boxing Council also paid tribute to Tete, extending its “deepest condolences” to his family and praising his “remarkable career”.
FURTHER READING
- Osun: APC Candidate, Oyebamiji Speaks After Losing To Adeleke
- Oba Ogunlaja Accepts NBA Epe Patronage, Pledges Support For Justice And Peace
- Abuja Flooding: Wike Visits Maitama, Inspects Drainage Channel





