- 83 Nigerians are returning from South Africa
- The evacuation follows rising xenophobic attacks
- FG says it will strengthen protection for Nigerians abroad
The Federal Government is set to receive another group of 83 Nigerians returning from South Africa as concerns over attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments against Africans continue to grow.
Eko Hot Blog gathered that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday by its spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, saying the returnees are expected to land at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
EDITOR’S PICK
- Osun Election: INEC Reports 94.5% Polling Units Opened on Time
- THEDSF Visits Alara of Ilara Kingdom, Seeks Royal Support for Youth Mobilisation
- Super Falcons Miss Women’s World Cup for First Time
The Nigerians are scheduled to leave Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at 3:35 p.m. local time aboard South African Airways and are expected to arrive in Lagos around 8:45 p.m.

The ministry explained that the latest repatriation was made possible through the financial support of private individuals who provided sponsorship for the returnees’ air tickets.
The government had earlier carried out a voluntary evacuation exercise that resulted in the return of nearly 1,490 Nigerians from South Africa following concerns over xenophobic attacks and discrimination against foreigners.
According to the ministry, the latest development reflects the Federal Government’s continued efforts to safeguard Nigerians living or travelling outside the country.
It said the administration of President Bola Tinubu remained committed to protecting the rights, welfare and dignity of Nigerians both within the country and in the diaspora.
The ministry further explained that the government’s Citizen Diplomacy policy considers Nigerians living abroad as valuable contributors to national development rather than a burden on the state.
It also praised the individuals who funded the latest evacuation, describing their intervention as an example of collective responsibility in responding to emergencies affecting Nigerians overseas.

The ministry called on businesses, corporate organisations, state governments and other Nigerians to support similar initiatives, particularly when citizens face urgent consular challenges abroad.
Beyond the evacuation exercise, the Federal Government said it would continue diplomatic discussions with the South African authorities to tackle the causes of Afrophobia and reduce incidents of violence and discrimination against Nigerians.
It stressed that attacks against Nigerians must be condemned and that perpetrators should be held accountable.
The ministry added that Nigeria would continue working with South Africa and other countries to strengthen diplomatic relations while ensuring that the safety and interests of Nigerians abroad remain a priority.
FURTHER READING





